Running in the rain


So this is what the world looked like outside my house this afternoon:


It's December in Pennsylvania, and that means it's cold and it's wet. It was raining lightly when I finally pushed myself out the door, and just above freezing. The weather was the same yesterday, when I used it as an excuse to keep baking Christmas cookies rather than get outside and run, but I decided that today I had to simply do it.

Of course, that doesn't mean I didn't bundle up.


Stylin'! But effective. And the nice white jacket is mostly waterproof and keeps me very visible.

Maybe it was the cold. Maybe I just wanted to hustle my way through the workout and get back inside, where my glasses don't fog up and get spattered with rain to the point that I can barely see (and no, shouting Impervio and tapping them with a stick doesn't work. Tried that.) Or maybe, just maybe, my fitness is already improving with just a week of effort under my belt. Whatever the case, I improved my time by almost a full minute, to 20 minutes and 57 seconds. That felt pretty good.

I was also able to run the first 1/4 mile, and didn't feel too shabby at the end of it. I plan to keep pushing that first run interval a little further every time. Expect me to be ridiculously proud of myself when I finish my first mile.

My plan for the remainder of the week:

Wednesday- 1 mile walk
Thursday- hill repeats (9 repeats)
Friday- 1 mile walk
Saturday- Fartlek walk/run, 1.5 miles
Sunday- Christmas! Take a break, or maybe a casual walk with my brother.

And my recap for today:

Workout: Fartlek walk/run, 1.5 miles
Time: 20:57
Pace: 13:58 per mile

0 comments:

Post a Comment